MSU Board of Trustees meets in Detroit

Contact: Tom Oswald, University Relations, Office: (517) 432-1196, Cell: (517) 281-7129, Tom.Oswald@ur.msu.edu

Jun 18, 2010

DETROIT – The Michigan State University Board of Trustees considered a number of items during its June 18 meeting in Detroit.

The board approved a resolution authorizing the university to proceed with a major addition to Wells Hall, as well as renovations to Old Horticulture Hall. The $38 million project includes an 88,000-square-foot addition to the Wells Hall B-wing; renovation of 3,000 square feet in the A-wing; renovation of 15,000 square feet in Old Horticulture; and the demolition of Morrill Hall.

The board approved the awarding of a $1.4 million contract to Electronics Research Inc. for the construction of a new tower for WKAR. The tower, located on Dobie Road in Meridian Township, includes a new digital television broadcast antenna and a new FM broadcast tower.

"Authorization to plan" resolutions for two dining hall projects were OK'd by the board. The projects include a new dining hall and food emporium for Shaw Hall, and the consolidation of food services and creation of a new restaurant and food emporium for Landon and Yakeley halls.

The board approved an "authorization to proceed" resolution for a major renovation project on Bailey Hall. The project includes mechanical, electrical and ventilation upgrades and replacements; the addition of life safety systems; lighting upgrades; and flooring and ceiling replacement.

For additional information on the board, visit www.trustees.msu.edu.